How Long Does RAM Lasts?
One of the essential items required for your computer and the most crucial CPU component is RAM. RAM stands for Random Access Memory which is used to store different types of data and machine code. It is also known as short-term data storage, where data is stored for a while and then move on to the subsequent storage. It is available in different sizes depending on the requirements; typically, PCs have 8Gb of RAM, but some old age PCs 4 Gb and even 2Gb of RAM. With the advancement of technology, some PCs and Laptops have 24 or 32Gb RAM, too, for high-performance gaming or to complete heavy work. The main question came into mind is that How Long Does RAM Lasts?
HOW LONG RAM LASTS?
Usually, RAM’s are for long-term usage; you can say that they have a lifetime warranty. You can use them continuously without any problem whole life, and they’ll work the same as they are working. But sometimes, due to some unexpected issues, it may be affected and stop working.
In that case, you’ll have to buy a new RAM which is more reliable and long-lasting. But on the other hand, there are significantly fewer chances of failure of these RAMs as they don’t have any fragile or components that need care like capacitors. Today we will discuss about How Long Does RAM Lasts? in full detail.
Read More: How To Remove Keys From A Mechanical Keyboard?
REASONS WHY RAM STOP WORKING?
There are several reasons for the failure of a RAM. Usually, they are built for the long term, so they use the best quality material in their production. Some of the fundamental reason that leads to their downfall of these RAMs are as follows:
- The main reason is the material they use in their creation because low-quality materials can easily affect the item quickly. It is crucial that you must buy a RAM made up of high-quality material that is more durable and long-lasting.
- External damage also leads to their downfall as they are specially designed for internal usage and are delicate for external disasters. Like with the mishandling of the CPU or any other that may harm it and other parts in the CPU.
- Sometimes low quality or old PCs may heat up during too much usage. And this may cause many harmful effects on the PC. This leads to the failure or short life span of the RAM as the PC heat up. And due to excessive heat, they will stop working.
- Overclocking is also a significant cause of the failure of RAM. Overclocking means too much usage, like using something more than its capacity or overburdening that item that is only dangerous. That’s why overclocking is also counted as the reason for the RAM failure, so we must avoid overusing the RAM.
HOW TO TEST YOUR RAM AGE?
Everyone is curious about the age or the status of the RAM they use in their PC. So, there are many ways to check your RAM’s age and testify that how long it lasts according to its status. There are many diagnostic tools available to check the RAM age. But different computers have different diagnostic tools depending on their specifications and requirements.
Memtest86 one of the best and also known as a universal diagnostic tool to check your RAM status. To test it first, you’ll have to apply your system’s primary diagnostic tool for basic data and then use the universal diagnostic tool Memtest86 for brief detail. This tool will briefly give you each aspect of the RAM, and it will help to find How Long Does RAM Lasts? and after which you can use your RAM according to that report to increase the lifespan of the RAM and maintain it carefully to avoid its overuse.
ADVANTAGES OF TESTING RAM AGE
To test your RAM age is very helpful in different ways and will guide you thoroughly. Testing RAM is not only to check its status by checking it you have the following advantages,
- It will give you a detailed report of the RAM status you are using at that time.
- With the test, you’ll be able to check the status and use it according to that status whether it needs more care than average or not.
- After it, you will find it more reliable for your computer or needs to change it with new.
Hence, the RAM will last for a lifetime, and it depends on different conditions which affect its working time. But, their lifespan increases with time if you handle it with care and also works more efficiently. So, to make your PC more worthwhile and to work it properly, then be careful about your RAM.
After knowing about your RAM status, you will be more cautious, and if it is required to change it. We hope that we have told you everything about How Long Does RAM Lasts? in this article. You can change it before it harms other parts of the computer. And most importantly, when you want to buy a cheap and less featured PC. Then make sure to invest sufficiently in its hardware.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to do if RAM stops working?
If it stops working, then, first of all, check its status whether there is an internal fault or it is relocating. Try to change it with a new one if it has an internal problem or locates it at any other slot on the motherboard.
What is the best RAM to use?
There are many RAMs to use like DDR2, DDR3, DDR4, and DDR5. Each of them is the best, but they depend on their specifications and generations. DDR4 has four times the more clock speed of DDR2.
How long will the RAM last with care?
Usually, RAMs are built for lifetime usage and have a lifetime warranty, but there are many causes of their failure, and one of the most important is carelessness. They will last for up to 20 years with care, and there are significantly fewer chances of their failure.
What is the best slot for the installation of RAM?
There are four slots for the installation of RAM. For dual channel purposes on the motherboard, they are installed on slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4, and it is not essential to install them on a specific slit; you can install them on any one of the pairs mentioned above.